I've turned a corner. Last week I quietly, and sometimes less so (I'm so sorry if you were one of the people that had to hear me whine), pined for meyer lemons and heaps of artichokes. But this week is better. I'm adjusting to life in the South. This week is all sweet potatoes and pecans.
(I think I like you) Shreveport Muffins
(Just to be clear - I have a budding though cautious regard for the town of Shreveport, but unbridled love for these little coffee companions.)
1 c. sweet potato puree
1/4 c. canola oil
2 T. ground flax
6 T. water
1/2 c. soy milk
1/4 c. dark molasses
1/4 c. sugar
1 c. flour
3/4 c. whole wheat pastry flour
2 t. baking powder
1 t. cinnamon
1 t. ginger
1/4 t. nutmeg
3/4 t. salt
1 c. chopped pecans
2 T. melted butter
1/4 c. sugar
1 T. molasses
1. Grease a muffin pan and heat the oven to 350.
2. Whisk together flax meal and water and set aside until thickened.
3. Make the topping by combining the pecans, butter, sugar, and molasses in a small bowl.
4. Thoroughly stir together all wet ingredients including sugar.
5. In a separate bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients.
6. Add the dry to the wet and quickly fold together.
7. Scoop batter into prepared pan, top with sugared pecans, and bake at 350 for 25 minutes or until a knife comes out pretty clean.
P.S. I'll announce the winner of the cookie sampler on Monday. If you haven't left a comment yet on the last post, it's not too late!
P.S.S Without the topping - this is a prefect toddler treat, not too sweet, packed with good stuff, no nuts.