I call myself your mom, and yet I give you nothing but junk food. I keep meaning to do better, but I'll be honest, I've looked at the roster for the rest of the year, and it's not looking good. Perhaps it will be a New Year's Resolution? I assure you my own children don't eat near as much junk as I feed you.
Like any good oozy sandwich, this one goes really well with oven fries (Oh hey, look, I snuck some sweet potatoes in there too. Check you out, Nutrition.) and a beer.
This recipe came about because I was too cheap to buy hot dog buns.
- 6 hot dogs (I used Smart Dogs because I was at Trader Joe's, but it would be better wit Tofurkey franks.)
- a little oil for grilling hot dogs
- 8 slices of sourdough or rye
- 1 large avocado
- 4 tablespoons vegan butter
- about 3/4 cup sauerkraut
- spicy sandwich sauce (recipe below)
- Cut the hot dogs in half horizontally and grill.
- Spread one side of bread with butter and smash 1/8 of the avocado onto the other side of each piece of bread. (Avocado=Unctuous Vegan Sandwich Glue)
- Arrange the bread butter-side down in a large cast iron skillet or griddle over medium heat. Spoon sauerkraut onto half of the avocado-smeared bread slices. Arrange hot dog halves on top of sauerkraut. Spoon sauce over hot dogs. Top with remaining slices of bread, gently pressing down to give the avocado a chance to do its job, and serve.
Spicy Sandwich Sauce
makes: about 1/2 cup
takes: about a minute
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup vegenaise
- 1 - 2 tablespoons chopped pickled jalapenos
- Slather on hot dog reuben.